Welcome, new and returning Readathoners, one and all! We challenge you to read as many minutes and pages as you can during the month of February, and ask your friends and family for cash gifts to get great books into the hands of kids who need them.
“So,” you ask, “How do I get started?” Read on, readers!
Join a Team!
Anyone can participate in Family Readathon February! Kids, adults, families…anyone who loves to read and wants to help improve children’s literacy is welcome to join in the fun! It all starts by creating a free Personal Fundraising Page with your School or any Team of your choice for a chance to win prizes and awards. Anyone 13 and above can sign up on their own, or get your parent or teacher to sign up for you and you can read together! Click on the links and follow the prompts.
Join these if you’re a student at one of the following schools:
Don’t see your school? You and your friends and family are invited to join any of the following teams:
Team Diary of a Wimpy Kid (coming soon)
Team Texas Authors (coming soon)
Don’t see a team that gets you motivated? Let us know what kind of books you love to read, and we’ll start a team just for you! To start your own team or enroll your school as a team, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (512) 462 1791 x 104 and we’ll set one up for you! While we’ll try to get you set up as soon as possible, please allow at least two business days for a response.
How to be a Readathoner
When you start a page, create a fun screen name. To protect your online privacy, we suggest you use only your first name and last initial only or a totally made-up name. Please do use a real email so we can contact you and to be eligible for prizes! Once you register, you will be emailed a link to your unique fundraising page where you can set your own reading minutes and fundraising goals and tell everyone about your love of reading.
Once you’ve registered, share your customized page with team members, friends and family to support your efforts by making donations to help kids read and succeed. When you talk to friends and family, give them your direct published page link so they donate online!
Photos or graphic images are great, or additional stories about of your family, school/class team, work team, or civic group! Note that once published, this information is public. So be careful what you post.
Please share your published fundraising page freely through your email, text messages, and social media, to help reach out to your friends and family and help us reach our shared goals. We’re only reading in February, but you can start raising money for your team as soon as you register!
Recording Reading :
Once you’ve created your fundraising page, you will be signed up for the Family Readathon Bookopolis to report your minutes read. There are video tutorials and assistance available to use the Bookopolis site, and you will see other students and readers participating. We hope you’ll find a friendly community of readers there! Please allow up to two business days for that link to come and check you spam filter. Only reading in the month of February counts towards prizes, but you can start reading anytime. You can always email email@example.com or call (512) 462 1791 x 104 and we’ll be glad to help you out.
Take a Reading Workshop:
The Family Reading Readathon Workshops hosted by The Library Foundation in late January help get kids motivated and focused. Here are lesson outlines that Librarians and Teachers may want to use for their students and reading programs:
If you’re a student and you want to be sure you’re on the right place, please follow these additional instructions.
- Go to your school link above and start your own page.
- Use only your first name and last initial or a memorable screen name. If you’re under 13, get your parent’s permission. Do not use your school email address.
- You’ll get an email with further instructions right away. If not, check your junk mail.
- Copy the link and ask for donations from family and friends.
- Get your free t-shirt at school or do curbside pick-up at BookSpring to get your free t-shirt.
- Look for links to register for into Bookopolis and set your goals, & create a reading list so you’re ready to get going.
- You can participate in the Challenges for pop up prizes.
- Read as many minutes as you can from Feb 1 – Feb 28.
- Enter minutes read in Bookopolis during or after the Readathon. The deadline is Februrary 28.
- Prizes & awards for fundraising and minutes will be presented in March!
Read and download this pdf for more information if you want to customize your crowdfunding page.
For Librarians and Teachers:
If you are a librarian, teacher, or parent of a participating school, we thank you for all you do for our community and we’re happy to have your students join us for the Family Readathon. This should be very easy for you this year and we want to make it smooth and fun. Feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Bianca at 512 472 1791 x 104 at anytime for support.
- Spread the word about the Family Readathon to students, parents, and other educators on your campus.
- Encourage students to click on their school link above and start their own page. Encourage students to use a personal email if possible. They will get many messages and instructions and chances at pop up prizes, so this is important!
- Encourage students to check into Bookopolis as many times as they wish during the 28-day reading period.
- All participating librarians, teachers and registered kids get a free t-shirt. Curbside pickup at BookSpring is available to schools and families through February.
- For offline donations, Click here for pdf form to mail in check or credit card donation.
- Prizes & awards include gift cards, digital books, and certificates of achievement and will be announced in March.
- Mark your calendars for the Family Readathon Celebration, Saturday, March 5, 10a.m.-Noon.
Here are some useful materials for everyone:
- Instructions for Librarians and Teachers
- Instructions for Students
- T-shirt pickup instructions
- School Prizes
The Bottom Line
Not ready to sign up yet but want to know more? No worries! Sign up here to stay informed and we’ll email you more information as the next Family Readathon approaches.
Questions? We’re always here to help at email@example.com or 512 472-1791 x 123.